Surveyed for Frederick Swagerty,
(below) Map of Perry County This modern map shows Cocalamus Creek as it flows around the peninsula and then turns south to flow southwesterly and into the Juniata River just below Millerstown. U.S. Route 17 follows the old Sunbury Path. The old road connected 18th century settlers in south Fermanagh and Greenwood Townships with the Susquehanna River to the east about ten miles away.
Land Research, Website, and
Rapho Township Map #40 Frederick Swygart
Evidently, in 1763 there was still a threat of Indian attack west of the Susquehanna, and settlers in numbers fled to safe territory east of the Susquehanna. As an example, Joseph Greenwood, who lived in Pfoutz Valley and for whom Greenwood Township is named, is on the list of Fermanagh taxables in1763 for 500 warranted acres. In 1764 he removed temporarily to Paxton Township, on the east side of the Susquehanna River, away from the Indian threat. In 1767 he returned to his 500 acres, which were now in Greenwood Township. Other settlers who had fled in 1764 also returned to their land. Joseph Greenwood is on the 1768 Tax List for Greenwood Township.
1763 First Tax List of Fermanagh Township,
Frederick, too, may have had to leave the area in 1764 because of the Indian threat. His earliest land record in Cumberland County is West Side Application # 3414, Tract # 60, surveyed May 10, 1768, shown below on the Greenwood Township Warrantee Map.
e Shown below by Tract Number are Frederick's four tracts
e First Survey, Tract # 60 - On April 11, 1767 Frederick made application to have 200 acres surveyed on the east side of Cocolamus Creek. One-hundred and seventy-three acres were surveyed on May 10, 1768, for Frederick Sweikert, Appl. # 3414. John Ross' # 3413 application is listed just above Frederick's. Below, the West Side Application record. (Note: It was Pennsylvania land law of the time that the applicant applying for unwarranted land had to accept the number of acres surveyed.)
Greenwood Township was formed in 1767, therefore Frederick's Tract # 60, surveyed on May 10, 1768 was located in the newly formed township. The first paragraph in the chapter on Greenwood Township, written by A. L. Guss, from Ellis & Hungerford describes the boundaries of Fermanagh at the time Greenwood was erected, and this boundary remained until 1789, when Mifflin County was created. Notice, particularly the phrase, ". . . except that portion of the present Greenwood Township lying north of the mouth of Cocolamus Creek, which then belonged to Fermanagh Township . . ."
Where Frederick lived - All of Frederick's records in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, from 1770 through 1782 are in Fermanagh Township. Evidence of the records so far leads to the conclusion that Frederick lived on the land he surveyed in the right of John Gallaher in 1769, Tract # 77 a & b. 1782 is the last list of taxables on which he is included in Fermanagh Township. In 1783 he is included on the first List of Taxables in Greene County, North Carolina.
Greenwood Township Warrantee Map "A" -
e Second Survey, Tract # 77 a & b - On December 13, 1769, Frederick surveyed in the right of John Gallaher's warrant dated September 8, 1755. After this 1769 survey, Tract # 77a, 48 acres and Tract # 77b, 105 acres, were not resurveyed until 1820 for Henry Gable (# 77a, 48 acres), and in 1822 for the heirs of George Neigley (#77b,105 acres).
Tract # 71 David Miller's improved Tract in 1780, the year he bought James Gallagher's 222 acres.
Tract # 78 was James Gallagher's 222 warranted acres, which reached
to the Juniata river. James
Tract # 76 abc -
deeded to Frederick from William Patterson on November 7, 1781.
" . . . I, William Patterson of Cumberland County have sold to Frederick Swagert one-hundred and ten acres of land situate in a long square piece and Beginning at David Miller's [Tract # 71] Northeast Corner a Dead Oak & extending along Thomas Bull's [Tract # 79] line to said Frederick's line to Cocalamus Creek in Fermanagh Township, Cumberland County, in consideration of fifty pounds specie, being part of a Tract of Land granted by the Proprietaries to Samuel Harris of New Jersey . . ."
Tract # 79 was Thomas Bull's survey in the right of John Gronow's
warrant of April 7, 1774. John
Tract # 76 was Samuel Harris' "Master Tract" - 308 acres -
from which William Patterson must have bought from Samuel Harris and had
surveyed the Tracts #76 abc.
Fourth Tract, along Little Mahantango
From Ellis and Hungerford's history :
James Gallagher's Survey on Little Mahantango adjacent
St. Michael's Churchyard
A satellite view of the old churchyard where numerous gravestones
can be seen. The location is about four miles northeast along
Sunbury Path from where Frederick lived on Tract 77 a&b, and just a short
distance south on Millrace Road where it turns southwesterly.
St. Michael's Evangelical Lutheran
Churchyard, Grave Sites
The baptismal record of St. Michael's began in October, 1774, by the minister of the congregation, Rev. Michael Enderlin. Elizabeth Schwigerty, age nineteen, and her younger sister Maria Schwigerty, age sixteen, were baptized and confirmed on October 30, 1774. Elizabeth may well have been a twin sister to her brother Abraham Swagerty, by proof of document to have been born in 1755.
Frederick's son and daughter, Frederick and Elizabeth, died in early 1777. The family lived on the original John Gallagher land warrant that Frederick had surveyed in 1769 along Cocalamus Creek. Both of his other surveyed tracts were in Greenwood Township.
1778 - First State Tax
- Fermanagh - Cumberland
July 1778 - David Bowl's
militia of the Fourth Battalion
January 1779 - James Gibson's
Also included on the 1778 Tax List of Freemen of Fermanagh - not married nor owning land - is Frederick's son Abraham. Twenty-year-old Abraham Swagerty had earlier in 1775, at the beginning of the Revolutionary War, joined the First Pennsylvania Regiment serving in one of the two companies of the famed Pennsylvania Riflemen, who marched from Carlisle to Boston in the summer of 1775, and then during December crossed the Maine Wilderness to Quebec, led by General Benedict Arnold. Abraham was wounded and taken prisoner by the British during the Americans' aborted attempt to take Quebec. He was released months later in July, 1776. After his release in New York City, Abraham evidently returned to recuperate at his father's home in Fermanagh. Abraham, who later surveyed millions of acres in the future state of Tennessee, probably learned his skill in surveying from John Armstrong, who was associated with a school in Cumberland County.
State Tax for 1779 Fermanagh, Cumberland
State Tax List 1780 Fermanagh,
State Tax List 1781 Fermanagh, Cumberland
This juncture in time is significant : in 1781, 100 acres disappear
from Frederick's tax list in Pennsylvania, and 100 acres appear entered in
Frederick Swagerty's name in the land office of Washington County, North
Carolina, on February 5, 1780. The
survey for this 100 acres was
made by Abraham Swagerty twelve years later on December 4, 1792.
The State of North Carolina Grant # 1204 for this land was dated
February 24, 1793.
State Tax List for 1782 Fermanagh,
Tennessee, First Tax List 1783
Original Narrative Copyright © Iris Teta Eubank Wagner 2009 and 2010
Historical and Museum Commission, Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania Genealogy website. Embedded maps in PDF
F. Ellis and A. N. Hungerford, editors, History of that Part of the Susquehanna and Juniata Valleys, embraced in the Counties of Mifflin, Juniata, Perry, Union and Snyder, in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Everts, Peck, & Richards, 1886.
John Woolf Jordan, Librarian, Historical Society of Pennsylvania, A History of Juniata Valley and its people, Vol.I, illustrated, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, New York
Harrison Hain, History of Perry County, Pennsylvania, Including Descriptions of Indian and Pioneer Life from the Time of Earliest Settlement, Hain-Moore Company, Publishers, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Rev. David H. Focht, A.M., Churches Between the Mountains : A History of the Lutheran Congregations in Perry County, Pennsylvania, Chapter V, Section III, St. Michael's Church in Pfoutz's Valley, Greenwood Township.
Silas Wright, History of Perry County, in Pennsylvania, from the Earliest Settlement to the Present Time, Millerstown, 1872, Wylie & Griest, Printers, Bookbinders and Stereotypers, 1873.
Ralph Beaver Strassburger and William John Hinke, Pennsylvania German Pioneers, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 ( the signature edition, p466) of the Ships' Lists, Pennsylvania German Society, 1934.
Frederick Krebs, translated and edited by Donald Yoder, "Palatine Emigrants to America from the Oppenheim Area, 1742-1749," The Pennsylvania Genealogical Magazine, Vol. XXI, p244.
Rolf Kilian and Franz Weyell, "The Families of Nieder-Ingelheim and Frei-Weinheim, 1550-1820," Part 2 of Vol.13: Ingelheim am Rhein : a book of Genealogies of the Frankfurt am Main area published by Heinz F. Friederichs, 1966.
William Henry Egle, Pennsylvania State Library, Notes and Queries of Pennsylvania: Historical and Biographical, Harrisburg Publishing Company, 1898 (Original from the University of Michigan), Digitized July 14, 2006, by Google Books.
Rupp, Daniel, A Collection of Upwards of 30,000 Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French, and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776, Genealogical Publishing Company, 2000, pp 211, 212 - 1749.
Loretto Dennis Szucs and Sandra Hargreaves Luebking, The Source: A Guidebook to American Genealogy, Third Edition, Ancestry Publishing, 2006.
Burgert, Annette Kunselman, Palatine Origins of Some Pennsylvania Pioneers, AKB Publications, Myerstown, Pennsylvania, 2000.
Gabriele Bohnert, City Archivist, Lahr, Germany ; Letter written to Mary Slowey concerning the Johann Jacob Schweikart (archivist pointed out also spelled Schweickhardt) family, keepers of the guest house , "The Blumen Inn," of Lahr, Schwarzwald, Germany.
FamilySearch.org, online genealogy service provided by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Sarah Sweigert O'Haver, family information from Bible and papers given Mrs.O'Haver by her father Frederick Swagerty. (Sarah and Joseph O'Haver moved their family from Cocke County, Tennessee to Greene County, Indiana before 1820. )
Swagerty Family Bible, kept by James, Sr. and Delilah (Meek) Swagerty, published in Tennessee Ancestors, August 1986, Vol 2, p126-127. The Bible record was submitted for publication by Mrs. Violet K. Wolfe of Monroe County, Tennessee. The Bible was owned in 1986 by Mrs. Grace Reid Wear Kirkpatrick of Madisonville, Tennessee, descendant of Susannah Swagerty Johnson, daughter of James Swagerty, Jr. and Nancy Clark Swagerty.
James G. M. Ramsey, Annals of Tennesse ; Originally Printed in 1853 for J.G.M. Ramsey, MD, by Walker and Jones, Charleston, South Carolina. Reprinted 1967 with the addition of a biographical introduction, annotations and index for the East Tennessee Historical Society, Knoxville, Tennessee. Reprinted 1999 by the Overmountain Press.
Irene M.Griffey, Earliest Tennessee Land Records & Earliest Tennessee Land History, Clearfield Company, Inc., reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Company, Inc, Baltimore, Maryland, 2003, pp384,385.
Thomas Perkins Abernethy, From Frontier to Plantation in Tennessee : A Study in Frontier Democracy, Chapter: Jackson, Blount, and Sevier, Southern Historical Publications No.12, University of Alabama Press, 1967, p173.
Pollyanna Creekmore, Early East Tennessee Tax Payers, (Greene County 1783, Cocke County 1839, Map of Cocke County 1832, Bill for Creation of Washington County), Southern Historical Press, Easley, South Carolina, reprint edition 1988.
Nichols, Francis. "Diary of Lieutenant Francis
Nichols, of Colonel William Thompson's Battalion of
The Papers of Gen. Francis Nichols : (1) Letter to Gen. Francis Nichols from John Rhea, Attorney for Abraham Swagerty, Washington, December 9, 1809 ; (2) Pottsgrove, December 17th, 1809, Letter in Reply : Gen. Francis Nichols to John Rhea.
Pat Alderman, Over the Mountain Men: Early Tennessee History - Battle of King's Mountain, Cumberland Decade, State of Franklin, Southwest Territory ; The Overmountain Press, Johnson City, Tennessee ; Original Copyright 1970 ; Reprinted with Index, Copyright 1986, The Overmountain Press.
Journal of Captain Hendricks from Carlisle to Boston, Thence to Quebec. 1775. Contributed to footnote.com by the Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission. Publication Title: Pennsylvania Archives, Series 2, Vol XV, pages 21-58.
G.L. Ridenour, Land of the Lakes, page 8.