The house at Mall Bank Plantation stood near this juncture of Eubank Creek and Old Canton Road three miles north of the City of Jackson on a 400-acre tract, which, before Richard Eubank bought  Mall Bank, was part of the 5,000-acre plantation in Hinds County owned from 1823 by the Garland family of Virginia.  The house stood at the farthest end of a tree-lined mall located on Old Canton Road near the present Hawthorne and Tyrone Drives.
                                         
e
* "It is as vivid as a personal letter written yesterday.  It is also a profoundly moving portrait of the agony of a nation . . . . The book is precious on two counts.  It portrays the mind of an original poet who had a wholesome vision of America.  And it preserves some tragic . . . . truths that must never be forgotten."
-  Brooks Atkinson of the New York Times in his review of     WALT  WHITMAN'S CIVIL WAR, Reprint by DaCapo publishers.    Originally published by Knopf, New York, 1960.
                     Drawings by Winslow Homer.

                                                           

                                                        _________________

Richard Newman Eubank
December 22, 1792  -  April 25, 1871

Mary Camden Ware
October 30, 1803  -  November 2, 1879
E

Lived at Mall Bank, their plantation at Jackson, Mississippi, and after the Civil War lived at Moss Side, Fannin, Rankin County, Mississippi

                              by Iris Teta Eubank Wagner
                               great great granddaughter


Note:  My grandparents, Livingston Mims Eubank and Fanny Swagerty Eubank purchased and lived at Moss Side in the years between 1902 and 1905.  Mims had grown up there and felt close to the place.  My father William Eubank remembered the house and the few years the family lived there.  The house at Moss Side burned in the autumn of 1905.  Mims and Fanny brought their family back to Newport, Tennessee, and later my grandfather resumed the logging and lumber industry he and Fanny's father William R. Swagerty, had left in Sevier County, Tennessee, in 1902.  

Several members of the Albemarle and Amherst Garland family moved south into Mississippi and Louisiana.   From 1823, William, Samuel, and Burr Garland of Virginia owned and developed an extensive farming tract and plantation of 5,000 acres in Hinds County, Mississippi.  They were prosperous planters.  David S. Garland was a great uncle to Mary Camden Ware.   David Garland's son William H. Garland, educated at the College of William and Mary, was a  successful businessman in Virginia and later in Louisiana. As Col. William H. Garland, he commanded a Confederate regiment in the Civil War.  He was the husband of Richard and Mary's eldest daughter Frances Marie Eubank.   David S. Garland's sister Frances Maria Anna Garland was Mary's grandmother.  She was the husband of Reuben Pendleton; their daughter Nancy Garland Pendleton married Capt. James Ware.  They were  Mary Camden Ware's parents.   William H. Garland and his wife Frances Ann Eubank were first cousins, twice removed.
                                        
After William and Frances Ann moved from Jackson to New Orleans in the early 1840's, Richard and Mary bought the 400-acre Mall Bank plantation.   They prospered there for forty years.   Richard Eubank's entry on the 1860 U. S. Census for Jackson, Mississippi, shows real and personal property as $59,000.   Richard Eubank, Jr. lived at an adjacent residence and  had a tax assessment of $25,000.
                                                                      
                                                                                                                                        map. . . google.
                                                                                                                           Site of Mall
Bank on a modern map

Mall Bank plantation was a major cotton producer in Hinds County 
In 1860 Mississippi published an Agricultural Schedule for that year listing cotton plantations in each county that produced at least a dozen bales.  Mall Bank plantation produced 150 bales ; Burr Garland on his large plantation   of   several   thousand  acres   produced  475  bales ;  neighbor  George W. Mims produced 70 bales ; the nearby Fondren  plantation  250 bales. 
 
                                                                                                                         
Episcopal Vestry of Jackson   Richard Newman Eubank, Sr. was a founding member and vestryman of St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Jackson.  He was among eleven vestrymen and two wardens of St. Andrew's Church who were granted a land patent from the State of Mississippi on December 30, 1842, on which to build a church in the City of Jackson.  The patent was signed by the Secretary of State, Lewis G. Holloway. The wardens were Joseph F. Montgomery and Benjamin Albertson.  Vestrymen were Robert Hughes, William Yerger, Burr Garland, Charles Scott, William S. Langley, William H. Young, Lemuel C. Moore, Jones B. Hoffman, Richard N. Eubank, Richard L. Dixon, and Thomas Graves.

Mall Bank used as hospital for wounded Federal soldiers
In July, 1863, the Federal army returned from victory at Vicksburg to finish the destruction begun in central Jackson two months earlier in May.   Mall Bank had escaped the May horror, but in July, 1863, Gen. Grant's order was to destroy all within a 15-mile radius of Jackson.   Vastly outnumbered by the Federal army, Confederate General Johnston left Jackson and the area unprotected and marched his troops east across the Pearl River toward Meridian, Mississippi.   That's where the regiment was in camp when my grandfather Livingston Mims Eubank was born there on March 4, 1865, more than a month before Gen. Lee's surrender in April in Virginia.

Moving north from the center of Jackson, troops commanded by U.S. Brigadier General Welch and Col. Charles Walcott, moved their troops up Old Canton Road, turning left onto the Mall Bank drive to the house.   Horses pulled wagons filled with wounded soldiers into the surrounding yard.   Soldiers immediately began going brusquely through the house, going from room to room, dragging most of the furniture that was left by the Eubank family out into the yard, clearing the rooms for their wounded men.  Eyewitness accounts from the family through the years tell how "soldiers took over the plantation and the house . . . . they carried the baby-grand piano out into the yard, and threw hay into it for the horses."
 
                                                                                         
The Federals further ransacked the house and outbuildings, confiscating plantation products of all kind, everything that could be used by                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Rand-McNally map
the Confederate Army that the Eubank family might have left behind when making their move with a number of servants east across the Pearl River to their hunting lodge, Moss Side at Fannin in Rankin County.
                                                                                                                                     
Days later the Federal regiment  had begun moving out of their temporary hospital quarters when the Eubank family returned to Mall Bank from the lodge in Fannin, and to ask that their house be saved.   The last company had now moved out, and the commander ordered the house burned.  And so it was.   An eyewitness account through very young eyes, was that of Richard Fondren Rivinac, age three.  Richard and his older sister Camilla, and their mother Selina Eubank Rivinac, watched as flames consumed the house and out buildings.   Selina and her children had lived across Canton Road from the Eubank family since Richard's father Peter Rivinac had left to serve in a Confederate regiment.   Richard and Mary Eubank watched for some time the flames consume their home, and the several outbuildings.  At length, they climbed into the carriage, and rode down Mall Bank drive.

Mall Bank farm continued the production of cotton after the War
The 1866 R. N. Eubank Tax Accounts for Hinds County reveal that the land at Mall Bank continued to produce cotton after the war.   The family also retained such taxable items as a fine carriage and a gold watch.  Though their home was gone, the Eubank family still maintained a residence and grew cotton on their Hinds County farm.

The Eubank Excavation Company continues as the Eubank & Rivinac Company
Richard and Mary's son, Richard N. Eubank, Jr., started a construction company before the war began after he returned to Jackson from medical college in New Orleans.  His study was cut short by a serious bout with tuberculosis.  

Southern Claims Commission
In March 1871 the U. S. Congress created the Southern Claims Commission which allowed residents of the southern states to apply for compensation for supplies taken from their farms during the War for the use of the Army  of the United States.  

Richard N. Eubank, Sr. died in April, 1871.   His widow Mary C. Eubank in his stead filed a petition for reparations on June 13, 1872 for compensation of supplies taken at Mall Bank during the War.  By the 1870 U. S. Census, Richard and Mary C. Eubank were in residence at Moss Side in Rankin County, Mississippi.


Fold3.com
Mary C. Eubank's Petition to the Southern Claims Commission, June 13, 1872
Below are the persons named in the Petition who were witness to the taking of the property.

Name........................................................Post Office


Mrs. Selina Rivinac  Richard and Mary's daughter Selina was the wife of Peter Rivinac, a son from a musically prominent family from Germany, living in Metz, France, at the time Peter, a student at the Paris Conservatory, immigrated to America.   Peter was a professor of music at a girls school in Memphis and composer of dances and marches during the Civil War era.  By 1872 at the time the witnesses gave their depositions in the taking of the supplies, Peter Rivinac owned and operated a photography studio in Canton, Mississippi.
Dr. W. P. (William Preston) Garland and his family lived at the adjacent residence to Mall Bank and was Mary's cousin.
Richard N. Eubank was Richard and Mary's son who served with the CSA Quarter Master Dept. in Jackson, and after the Confederates left Jackson, served in Meridian, Mississippi, until the end of the war.
Jordan Eubank was a freedman.  He had come with the Eubank family from Virginia.
Dennis Lancaster - nearby resident of Mall Bank.
Jefferson Dortch was a neighbor of Dr. Garland.
John Rutherford - nearby resident of Mall Bank.
(not shown above but also a witness)  Sophia Graves - a freedwoman, whose family had come to Mississippi from Virginia with the Eubank family, and she had been Mary's personal servant for many years.  Mary sold fifty acres of land in Rankin to Sophia.  At the time Sophia had signed this petition she was married to a Mr. Graves.  On the 1880 census her entry was as Sophia Eubanks.

Mary's petition claimed she was deserving of compensation for livestock and products of the farm that the U.S. Army had taken for their use, as the Petition states verbatim:

"taken and used by the Division of the Army commanded by General Grant about the 10th or 15th day of July, 1863, while besieging Jackson, State of Mississippi.  General Sherman was in command of this section of the Army, while Brigadier General Welch and Col. Walcott were in immediate command of that portion of the Army occupying the Premises from which the said property was taken.  The Residence, and yard adjacent, for near a month was the Hospital for the Army, the Surgeons of the Army taking full possession of the Property named and using same for the sick and wounded and for the general Service of the army.
   
            
(See list above of confiscated goods  amounting to $33,310.)

Mary was represented in Washington by the law firm of Carlisle and McPherson.  Her attorney in Mississippi was Harvey R. Ware of Jackson, and husband of Mary's granddaughter Mollie Stewart.  Harvey was a brother to Thompson Parrish Ware, a lawyer, too, and husband of Sallie Bullus Smith sister to Jane Catherine Hunter, wife of Richard and Mary Eubank's son, Richard Eubank, Jr.  Harvey and Thompson were from the lineage of Dr. James Ware of Caroline County, Virginia, who moved after the Revolutionary War to Kentucky.

There have been no documents found to prove this claim was settled before Mary's death in 1879.  On March 10, 1876, Carlisle and McPherson retired from the case.  The Petition was sent to attorney A. J. Falls.  Harvey Ware continued to represent Mary's case in Mississippi.

Original Narrative copyright Iris Teta Eubank Wagner 2006-2012