Walking through gardens at their home in the 1830's,
Richard and Mary would have looked out to a scene such as this - across the lawn
to Old Lexington Turnpike, now Route 714, Tudor Hall Drive, running the
length of this picture.
by Iris Teta Eubank Wagner
Richard Newman Eubank was born December 22, 1792, in Amherst County, Virginia, the ninth child of John and Margaret Newman Eubank of Amherst County. His parents had sold their property near Bowling Green in Caroline County in 1780, and later that year crossed the valley of Virginia to settle at the foot of the great Blue Ridge Range.
John served in the Amherst County Militia in 1781. Richard was likely born on the Eubank farm located on the north side of Tobacco Row Mountain along Horsley's Creek and near the head of Puppies Creek, near the intersection of two main north-south/ east-west roads near Ware's Gap, as shown in the 1864 map below.
Library of Congress
Amherst County 1864
On the 1810 U.S. Census (below)
Richard is age seventeen and living with his father and younger brothers Robert, James, Edmund
V., and William E. J. and sister Mary, two other females, and five slaves.
1810 U. S. Census, Amherst County
Mary Camden Ware's father
Capt. James Ware, operated his
home as an inn and tavern.
1820 U.S. Census, Amherst County, Virginia
James Ware's Inn and
The tavern was a full house on this 1820 census record. Seven male children under sixteen years, and thirteen male residents ages sixteen to forty-five, and one male resident over forty-five. There are three females - the oldest is James' wife, Nancy Garland Pendleton Ware and daughter Mary Camden Ware, and the youngest daughter Ann. During the year 1820, Mary and Richard would marry on Richard's birthday, December 22. Mary was seventeen and Richard twenty-eight.
The Ware Inn and Tavern was the Ware home, the local social hub, and welcome respite to migrating settlers going west. The intersection at which the inn was located was a major route for early southwest migrations. Waugh's Ferry at the lower left in the map above was a major crossing point on the James River for travelers heading west. Amherst initiated a petition to establish the ferry in 1783. Residents John, George, and Ambrose Eubank were among the petitioners. Waugh's Ferry Farm was on the Amherst side of the James River and Thomas Waugh's home was called Verdant Vale.
Mary Camden Ware was born on October 30, 1803. Richard and Mary were acquainted through the cultural environment of church, family, and neighborhood. Growing up they would have attended church at the Pedlar Chapel, known for many years now as Saint Lukes Episcopal, located at Pedlar Mills. Both their fathers served as vestrymen in the local Lexington Parish.
The Ellis Family of Amherst
The Ellis family has for years been closely associated with Saint Luke's. Major Charles Ellis settled his Red Hill plantation along Pedlar River in 1754 and was a frontier officer in the French and Indian War. Charles' son Josiah gave land for the first church building, and was both organizer and benefactor in the development of the church The present membership of Saint Luke's is again meeting in this historic church.
Richard's sisters Ann and Margaret married sons of Josiah Ellis. "Nancy," christened Ann Newman Eubank was married first to William Taliaferro, and second to Col. John Ellis, Josiah's eldest son. Their home was nearby Cloverdale plantation, part of Major Ellis's original tract.
Margaret Newman Eubank married
Joshua Shelton Ellis. Their son Robert Newman Ellis, born 1821, was
amerchant at Pedlar Mills, and eventually bought Round Top in 1895, part of the
old plantation, and in
1898 bought Red Hill.
Red Hill - built by Richard Shelton Ellis in 1824/25 - listed on the National Register of Historic Places on June 9, 1980.
Richard's eldest brother Thomas Newman Eubank married Josiah's daughter, Jane Shelton Ellis. After Josiah Ellis died, son Richard Shelton Ellis managed the farm at Red Hill. He also managed Josiah's mercantile businesses and mill at Pedlar Mills.
Thomas Harding Ellis and
Edgar Allan Poe
Josiah and Jane Shelton of Amherst married in the year 1796, and they had eleven children. In addition to the children mentioned above, his second eldest son Charles Ellis was a partner in the mercantile business Ellis and Allan of Richmond. John Allan was the foster parent of author Edgar Allan Poe. Josiah's son Thomas Harding Ellis and Poe were boyhood friends. As a teen and living in Richmond, Poe spent time summers and on holidays at Red Hill.
Back from a year's stay in England in 1820, John Allan
and his wife and eleven-year-old Poe lived with the Ellis family for a
year. It is the family history and genealogy written by Thomas Harding Ellis
in 1849 by which we can identify the family
Josiah's youngest son Powhatan Ellis was educated at Washington Academy in Lexington, Virginia, and Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. He studied law at William and Mary College in Williamsburg, Virginia, and later served as a U.S. Court judge for the district of Mississippi from 1832 to 1836.
Montgomery, orphan of Thomas Montgomery. The Guardian's
Bond was posted by Richard S. Ellis, Thomas N. Eubank, William Armistead,
and Richard N. Eubank.
June 18, 1835 - Richard was bondsman, along with his brother Thomas N. Eubank, for their brother William E. J. Eubank, for constable's certification.
November 19, 1836 - Guardian Bond, Josiah R. Ellis, et al. John Dudley Davis, guardian. Wards, Josiah R. and Charles S. Ellis, orphans of John Ellis, deceased. Bondsmen: Elliott Wortham, R.N. Eubank, Jas. Gilliam.
The James River and Kanawha Canal Company - Richard was among stockholders in the James River and Kanawha Canal Company of Richmond, Virginia. Among stockholders listed in The Richmond Enquirer in the 1830's were Richard N. Eubank, Thomas N. Eubank (Company Commissioner for Amherst County), David S. Garland, William E. J. "Jett" Eubank (Sheriff of Amherst County at the time), William Armistead, Robert W. Carter, John Coleman, Harrison G. Griffin, Henry W. Quarles, George W. Ray, Peter P. Thornton, and William M. Waller (also a Company Commissioner for Amherst).
Tudor Hall - the home of Richard and Mary in Amherst County. They lived here from the early 1820's through 1838. This Eubank plantation was located along Old Lexington Turnpike, the major route in those days running from Amherst Courthouse to Lexington, Virginia. The satellite view below shows the old turnpike which on modern maps, as this one on Google, indicates Tudor Hall Drive as route 714. The modern turnpike is route 60. This aerial view shows a modern home with a long drive to it from state route 714. This is the location of Tudor Hall plantation. The excavated burrow of the old house cellar was used in preparation for the basement of the new house. Tudor Hall was built by David Shepherd Garland, Mary's great- granduncle who owned extensive acreage along both sides of the Buffalo River.
The house has been gone for years. A long-time resident of the Sardis area, Theodore Jennings, provided us a field tour of the area in the early 1980's. His ancestral family owned the land and the old house during the mid-19th century after Richard and Mary Eubank had moved to Mississippi. Mr. Jennings' ancestors are buried in the family cemetery at the top of a rise on the property. He was interested in sharing his historical knowledge of the area with us. And we are indeed grateful.
Old Lexington Turnpike 1860's
Mr. Jennings' ancestors owned the property in the 1860's. The large dot at the creek, just left of the "J" in Jennings, indicates the site of the old home Tudor Hall. The red double-lined road on the map represents the Old Lexington Turnpike, or now Tudor Hall Drive as shown in the satellite view. The large dot to the left of the old turnpike is likely the old Sardis Church.
In the early 1900's Col. William A. Richardson owned the tract, and a surviving family member in the 1980's remembered as a child seeing ruins of the old home. The Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission included the site of Tudor Hall in their historic landmarks survey of 1980.
At the time of Eubank ownership the farm acreage was between 1,500 and 2,000 acres, as documented on the deed at the time of purchase in 1838 by William H. Garland husband of Frances Marie Ann Eubank, eldest daughter of Richard and Mary.
William and Frances Ann were first cousins, twice
removed. David Shepherd Garland,
William's father, was a brother to Frances Maria
Anna Garland, and she was Frances Ann's great grandmother. William
was a first cousin to Nancy Garland Pendleton
the wife of Capt. James Ware,
father of Mary Camden Ware Eubank.
Richard and Mary were parents to eleven children -
eight were born in Virginia
Frances Marie Ann Eubank - Oct. 1, 1821
Selina Jane Eubank - September 2, 1823
Margaret Newman Eubank- April 10, 1825
John James Eubank - May 16, 1827
Mary Dudley Eubank - March 14, 1830
Richard Newman Eubank II - May 27, 1832
Virginia Eubank - March 14, 1834
Cornelia Sale Eubank - April 2, 1836
William Ware Eubank was born in Haywood County, Tennessee, at Brownsville on August 20, 1838.
Ellen Eubank - August 16, 1841
Ada Eubank - Sept. 25, 1845
Ellen and Ada were born in Mississippi.
The family spent several months to a year in Haywood County during 1838/39, before moving into Mississippi, first to Madison County, then to their plantation Mall Bank in Hinds County near Jackson.
The children of Capt.
James and Nancy Ware left Amherst County during the 1830's to settle
in west Tennessee and Mississippi :
Mansfield Ware - February 19, 1802
Mary Camden Ware - October 30, 1803
Reuben Seldon Ware - April 17, 1805
John D. Ware - December 1, 1807
James D. Ware - September 2, 1809
William A. Ware - April 20, 1811
Ann Ware - May 26, 1813
Edward Ware - March 6, 1815
Gustavius Adolphus Ware - Jan. 23, 1817
Garland Pendleton Ware - Jan. 15, 1819
Micajah Pendleton Ware - Jan. 15, 1822
Elizabeth Frances Ware - Jan 9, 1825
Part Two : Hinds and Rankin Counties, Mississippi
Original Narrative and Web Site © Iris Teta Eubank Wagner 2008-2015